Home »

Water Cooling

Home Forums Computers Water Cooling

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gregski24
    Keymaster
      Up
      Down
      ::

I have an AMD R9 290 video card in my system and it is loud and very hot. I’m not one of those people who demands a cool and quiet system, but I have to say – this is ridiculous.

I went online to try to find a water cooler for my GPU, but I couldn’t find one that was specific for my card. I eventually found someone selling a 290 on Ebay – complete with a water cooler, so I bought it. It just arrived today. It has a Corsair HG10 A1 cooler bracket and a Corsair H55 water cooler. It just so happens that Newegg is selling refurbished H55 coolers for $49, so I bought two of them. One for my GPU and the other for the CPU. I also found the cooler bracket on Ebay for $30, so I bought it too. My hope is that by next weekend I’ll have two water cooled R9 290s, and a water cooled I7 6700.

Gregski24
      Keymaster
        Up
        Down

So, I played Doom for the amount of time it takes to slip off a ledge and plunge to my death (about seven minutes) and then I measured the temperature of my GPU. . .

This is the part where I was going to paste a screen shot of my temperature, but it seems this forum doesn’t allow posting pictures unless you have a URL for it. Hmmm.

. . .anyway, I measured the temperature and it was 94 degrees Celsius. That’s 201 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s 11 degrees shy of boiling water. That seems a bit high, even for a blast furnace of a card. I’m looking forward to getting that water cooler.

Gregski24
        Keymaster
          Up
          Down

OK, I just added a simple plugin to allow adding attachments. Let’s see if this works. Look at the fifth line from the bottom in the column on the far right. That’s what the measured temperature was.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Gregski24.
          Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Gregski24
          Keymaster
            Up
            Down

My plan to add three water coolers to my PC failed. My case is too small, so I was only able to add water coolers to my GPUs. It seems to have had the desired effect. GPU temps went from 201 degrees Fahrenheit down to 168 while running 3dmark. And speaking of 3dmark, my score increased from 9,677 to 15,947. So, not bad.

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.